I get a lot of emails from my friends, moms I know, moms I meet on Twitter and Facebook and even strangers I meet at the supermarket about how I manage to fit fitness into my busy life. The short answer is that I put the time in my schedule and I make it non-negotiable for myself and for others. I know that is easier said than done but it is crucial for my physical and emotional well-being and it helps me be a better wife, mom, friend and colleague.
Personally, I have made the decision to workout at home with various DVDs— mostly because it’s convenient, takes less time (no car ride to the gym), requires slightly less willpower and helps me be consistent. But even if you are a die hard gym rat, fitting in fitness is less about time and more about giving yourself permission to make YOU a priority.
What works best for me and my schedule is to work out at 5:30 or 6 in the morning before the rest of the house is awake. I believe that there is really no best time of day to workout except the time that you will be able to consistently stick to and that works best for your life.
Let me be clear that I am not, by nature, a morning person but there are some little things that I do that help temporarily fool my mind and body into thinking that I am.
1. Put the alarm clock/phone on the other side of the room.
2. Put my workout clothes right next to the alarm clock so that I can put them on right after I turn the alarm off BEFORE the temptation to get back into bed kicks in
3. Buy workout clothes (no need to spend a lot of money) that I like and feel good in
4. Keep my sneakers and socks next to the TV so that I can put the DVD in while I am putting them on
5. Now this one definately gets a high rating on the corny meter— but I swear it works— I put a picture that I took of myself, smiling, post-workout near my workout DVDs. It helps remind me of how great I feel after the workout is over and helps give me the motivation to press play and just start
6. I keep a workout calendar on my fridge and cross of each day.. this helps me be accountable since my kids have gotten in the habit of checking every morning and they love to give me a hard time when I miss a day!
7. REWARD YOURSELF! I make deals with myself that if I do all my workouts for the week/month, whatever, I will treat myself to one thing I want. For me, it usually involves shoes or a new cooking gadget ;)
I hope this helps all the busy women/moms out there who are struggling to find the time. Ultimately, we all have the same 24 hours… it’s just a matter of how we chose to use it. Don’t be ashamed or afraid to make yourself a priority!
Think of making breakfast in bed for mom on mother’s day? .. here are some good healthy recipes I found. http://ping.fm/9EDNz
Thanks to my cousin Stacey I found a great tool to help my kids learn to spend, share and save their money.. http://www.moonjar.com/
What is your dream? Are you living it? If not, you can and should be. Check this out… http://ping.fm/7FstS